Stevenson (9-4, 1-3 MAC Commonwealth) vs.
Messiah (7-4, 2-1 MAC Commonwealth)
Wednesday, January 3, 2018 - 6 pm
Owings Mills Gymnasium (1,250), Owings Mills, Md.
- Senior Danzel Wright was named the MAC Commonwealth Player of the Week on Tuesday after averaging 25.0 ppg in a pair of wins last week.
- Wright leads the MAC Commonwealth in scoring (23.3 ppg), three-point percentage (.467) and free throw percentage (.918) while ranking fourth in field goal percentage (.503)
- Stevenson scored 113 points in a November 25 win at Penn State Berks, matching a program record for points in a game.
- After winning just four games a season ago, the Mustangs already have nine victories in 2017-18.
- Stevenson's current four-game win streak is its longest since winning seven straight from January 14-February 7, 2015.
- The Mustangs dropped both meetings with Messiah last season by a combined 11 points, falling 72-65 in Grantham, Pa on January 4 and 72-68 on February 1 at home.
• Messiah swept both meetings in 2016-17 by a total of 11 points, winning 72-65 at home and 72-68 at Owings Mills Gymnasium. The previous season, the Mustangs swept the series by scores of 74-55 and 71-68. Eight of the previous 10 meetings have been decided by seven or fewer points.
THE WRIGHT STUFF
• Senior Danzel Wright has made an immediate impact in his first season at Stevenson. Reaching double figures in scoring in every game thus far, Wright ranks 15th nationally in scoring (23.3 ppg), third in total three-pointers made (49) and 19th in free throw percentage (.918).
• Entering the season, the Mustangs had not been to overtime since February 7, 2015 against Messiah, a span of 60 games, but Stevenson has been to an extra session twice already in 2017-18. In the season opener, it outlasted Elizabethtown 90-87, while on December 2, the Mustangs fell 78-75 at home in OT to Widener.
PILING UP THE POINTS
• After scoring at least 80 points just four times last season, Stevenson has already cracked the 80-point mark seven times, going 6-1 in those games. The Mustangs have gone over the 90-point mark three times, including a 113-point outburst at Penn State Berks on November 25 that tied the program record for points in a game.
• Stevenson athletics can be found on Facebook by searching for "Stevenson University Mustang Athletics" or on Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat at @GoMustangSports. Stevenson men's basketball can be found on Twitter at @GoMustangHoops.
MUSTANG SPORTS NETWORK
• All Stevenson men's basketball home games can be seen and heard on the Mustang Sports Network. To watch, simply visit www.gomustangsports.tv, or visit the Stevenson University Athletics Roku channel. To listen to the broadcast of any home game, simply visit sfmsports.net.
The Gary Stewart Show presented by Buffalo Wild Wings, in which Stevenson head coach Gary Stewart discusses the past week's action and looks forward to the week ahead, can be seen each Tuesday at GoMustangSports.com as well as on Roku.