Stevenson (10-5, 2-4 MAC Commonwealth) vs.
Alvernia (7-8, 2-4 MAC Commonwealth)
Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 3 pm
Owings Mills, Md. - Owings Mills Gymnasium (1,250)
- Senior Danzel Wright was named the MAC Commonwealth Player of the Week last week after averaging 25.0 ppg in a pair of wins at the Buffalo Wild Wings Classic.
- Wright ranks second in the MAC Commonwealth in scoring (22.8 ppg), three-point percentage (.447) and leads in free throw percentage (.927) while ranking sixth in field goal percentage (.485)
- Stevenson scored 113 points in a November 25 win at Penn State Berks, matching a program record for points in a game.
- After winning just four games a season ago, the Mustangs already have 10 victories in 2017-18.
- Stevenson's recent five-game win streak is its longest since winning seven straight from January 14-February 7, 2015.
- Stevenson and Alvernia split a pair of meetings last season, with each winning on the road. The Mustangs won 79-71 in Reading, while Alvernia won 94-77 in Owings Mills.
• Both teams won on the road in 2016-17. Alvernia holds an 8-4 lead in the series since Stevenson joined the MAC Commonwealth in 2012-13. Included in that total are two Alvernia wins in the conference title game in 2014 and 2015.
THE WRIGHT STUFF
• Senior Danzel Wright has made an immediate impact in his first season at Stevenson. Reaching double figures in scoring in every game thus far, Wright ranks 25th nationally in scoring (22.8 ppg), fifth in total three-pointers made (55) and 10th in free throw percentage (.927).
• Entering the season, the Mustangs had not been to overtime since February 7, 2015 against Messiah, a span of 60 games, but Stevenson has been to an extra session twice already in 2017-18. In the season opener, it outlasted Elizabethtown 90-87, while on December 2, the Mustangs fell 78-75 at home in OT to Widener.
PILING UP THE POINTS
• After scoring at least 80 points just four times last season, Stevenson has already cracked the 80-point mark eight times, going 7-1 in those games. The Mustangs have gone over the 90-point mark three times, including a 113-point outburst at Penn State Berks on November 25 that tied the program record for points in a game.
KEEPING IT CLOSE
• All five of Stevenson's losses have been by 12 or fewer points.
• Stevenson athletics can be found on Facebook by searching for "Stevenson University Mustang Athletics" or on Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat at @GoMustangSports. Stevenson men's basketball can be found on Twitter at @GoMustangHoops.
MUSTANG SPORTS NETWORK
• All Stevenson men's basketball home games can be seen and heard on the Mustang Sports Network. To watch, simply visit www.gomustangsports.tv, or visit the Stevenson University Athletics Roku channel. To listen to the broadcast of any home game, simply visit sfmsports.net.
The Gary Stewart Show presented by Buffalo Wild Wings, in which Stevenson head coach Gary Stewart discusses the past week's action and looks forward to the week ahead, can be seen each Tuesday at GoMustangSports.com as well as on Roku.