Stevenson (10-6, 2-5 MAC Commonwealth) vs.
Hood (6-10, 2-5 MAC Commonwealth)
Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 6 pm
Frederick, Md. - BB&T Arena (1,600)
- Senior Danzel Wright is one of 100 players nationally named to the Bevo Francis Award watch list, given to the top player in small college basketball.
- Wright ranks second in the MAC Commonwealth in scoring (22.8 ppg), three-point percentage (.447) and leads in free throw percentage (.921) while ranking seventh in field goal percentage (.485)
- Stevenson scored 113 points in a November 25 win at Penn State Berks, matching a program record for points in a game.
- After winning just four games a season ago, the Mustangs already have 10 victories in 2017-18.
- Stevenson's recent five-game win streak is its longest since winning seven straight from January 14-February 7, 2015.
- Stevenson nearly overcame a 27-point deficit Saturday against Alvernia before falling 85-83.
• Hood swept the season series between the MAC's two Maryland schools last season, dowing the Mustangs 95-68 on January 18 in Owings Mills and 77-66 in Frederick in February. The previous season was a series sweep for Stevenson.
THE WRIGHT STUFF
• Senior Danzel Wright has made an immediate impact in his first season at Stevenson. Reaching double figures in scoring in every game thus far, Wright ranks 25th nationally in scoring (22.6 ppg), seventh in total three-pointers made (57) and 12th in free throw percentage (.921). Wright was named to the Bevo Francis Award watch list on January 15, one of only 100, for the award that honors the top player in all of small college basketball.
• Entering the season, the Mustangs had not been to overtime since February 7, 2015 against Messiah, a span of 60 games, but Stevenson has been to an extra session twice already in 2017-18. In the season opener, it outlasted Elizabethtown 90-87, while on December 2, the Mustangs fell 78-75 at home in OT to Widener.
PILING UP THE POINTS
• After scoring at least 80 points just four times last season, Stevenson has already cracked the 80-point mark nine times, going 7-1 in those games. The Mustangs have gone over the 90-point mark three times, including a 113-point outburst at Penn State Berks on November 25 that tied the program record for points in a game.
FROM WAY DOWNTOWN
• Stevenson ranks second in the MAC Commonwealth in three point shooting, shooting behind the arc at a .372 clip, while is making 9.6 trifectas per game, tops in the conference. The Mustangs hit a season-best 17 threes at Penn State Berks and have made at least six three-pointers in every game this season.
ALMOST ALL THE WAY BACK
• Stevenson trailed Alvernia 56-29 with 16:57 remaining on January 13 before storming nearly all the way back in an eventual 85-83 defeat, outscoring the Golden Wolves 54-29 the rest of the way.
KEEPING IT CLOSE
• All six of Stevenson's losses have been by 12 or fewer points.
• Stevenson athletics can be found on Facebook by searching for "Stevenson University Mustang Athletics" or on Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat at @GoMustangSports. Stevenson men's basketball can be found on Twitter at @GoMustangHoops.
MUSTANG SPORTS NETWORK
• All Stevenson men's basketball home games can be seen and heard on the Mustang Sports Network. To watch, simply visit www.gomustangsports.tv, or visit the Stevenson University Athletics Roku channel. To listen to the broadcast of any home game, simply visit sfmsports.net.
The Gary Stewart Show presented by Buffalo Wild Wings, in which Stevenson head coach Gary Stewart discusses the past week's action and looks forward to the week ahead, can be seen each Tuesday at GoMustangSports.com as well as on Roku.