No. 6 Gettysburg Rallies Past No. 15 Mustangs in OT

OWINGS MILLS, Md. – Mike Risser scored 1:08 into overtime to lift sixth-ranked Gettysburg to a 7-6 non-conference men's lacrosse victory over No. 15 Stevenson Saturday night at Mustang Stadium. 

The Mustangs (0-2) suffered their second-straight one goal loss to a top-6 opponent as they fell to No. 4 Denison in their season opener.  Gettysburg (4-0) won its second-straight one-goal game as they edged then-No. 1 Salisbury in double overtime last weekend.

Stevenson held a 6-4 lead entering the final quarter, but Gettysburg halved the lead 1:42 into the final frame on a goal by Brian Kolen.  The score remained 6-5, and the Mustangs went up a man up with 1:32 left as the Bullets were whistled for a 30 second holding penalty.

With 34 seconds left, sophomore Ethan Christensen had a shot at point blank range saved by Gettysburg goalie Tim Brady, and the Bullets were able to clear.  With 10 seconds left in regulation, Jack Harvey spun and scored his second goal of the game to tie things up.

In overtime, Gettysburg won the faceoff and successfully entered the zone.  Risser had a shot at 3:07 saved by Stevenson goalie Sam Ross, but his second shot at the 2:52 mark on a feed from Harvey was the game-winner.

Gettysburg took a 1-0 lead 1:28 into the game on a Risser goal, but five seconds later, sophomore Justin Burnette won the faceoff and raced down to score for his first career goal.  The Mustangs took a 2-1 lead after one frame as junior JT Thelen scored at 7:58.

Goals by Gettysburg at 11:05 and 6:52 put the Bullets on top 3-2, but a goal by freshman Jacob Tatum 4:30 before halftime tied the game 3-3.  Tatum picked up a loose ball in front of the Bullet goal after a Brady save and shoveled it home for his team-leading fifth goal of the season.  Thelen added his second goal of the game 2:09 before halftime and Stevenson led 4-3 at the break.

The game remained 4-3 until Christensen scored twice in a six second span to go up 6-3.  His first goal at 4:21 was followed by a goal off the faceoff as Burnette assisted on the tally.  Gettysburg closed within 6-4 with just under a minute left in the third as Harvey scored a man up goal.

Stevenson outshot Gettysburg 40-36 and won nine of 17 faceoffs.  Thelen and Christensen each totaled two goals, while Burnette notched a goal and an assist and picked up six ground balls.  Senior Joe Candon added four ground ball pickups.  Ross stopped 14 shots.

Gettysburg was led by Kolen's three goals, while Risser and Harvey each scored twice.  Brady finished with 13 saves.

Stevenson is back in action next Saturday when it travels to third-ranked Salisbury for a 1:00 faceoff.