Oct 20, 2018
OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Stevenson men's soccer sophomore Evan Joseph netted his first career goal, the game-winning goal with 4:33 remaining in regulation, as the Mustangs posted a 2-1 MAC Commonwealth victory Saturday evening at Mustang Stadium.
- Alvernia (6-10-2, 2-4 MAC Commonwealth) recorded the first shot of the game in the 10th minute when Austin Young got free at the top of the 18-yard box and sent an attempt wide of freshman keeper Matt Stellitano.
- The Mustangs (9-6-1, 3-3-1 MAC Commonwealth) got their best chance of the early going after a Golden Wolves foul as junior DR Medtart launched a free kick from 25 yards out that found the foot of classmate Gaige Robinson who had his offering stopped by Luca Grippi with 12 minutes off the clock.
- The visitors then put pressure on Stellitano as he was tasked to make consecutive saves on Jay Ringer and Adam Orndorff to keep the contest scoreless.
- The Golden Wolves continued to threaten as Ringer recorded back-to-back attempts but was unable to find the net.
- Robinson had a chance in the 25th minute but he sent his shot high. Freshman James Rosa had a chance a few minutes later but Grippi turned it away.
- Alvernia got on the scoresheet in the 32nd minute as Gabe Sensenig found Orndorff who drove his shot past the keeper for the lead.
- Stevenson answered 5:34 later as junior DR Medtart played a long ball into the box that was misplayed by an Alvernia defender landing at the feet of sophomore Jay Smith who vollied it into the net to level the game at 1-1.
- The final shot of the half came off the boot of Smith with 2:42 remaining but sent his curling shot wide of Grippi.
- The Mustangs nearly took the lead in the 59th minute as sophomore Dylan Holy flicked a header on a long throw-in by Joseph that was then headed in by Smith but he was whistled for offside.
- Alvernia had a free kick just outside the 18-yard box that Austin Young hit off the Mustangs defense before sending a rebound attempt wide.
- In the 74th minute, Medtart carried the ball down the right side before crossing it into the box for freshman Will Earhart but his volley sailed wide.
- Stevenson had a free kick in the 85th minute that Medtart floated into the box from 42 yards out. Grippi came out to play the ball and Joseph headed it overtop and into the net.
- Both teams recorded 15 shots while Stevenson outshot Alvernia, 9-7 in the second half.
- The Mustangs held a 4-1 edge in corner kicks, including 2-0 in the second half.
- Stellitano finished with six saves while Grippi totaled four.
- The win is the first victory for the Mustangs in the 10-game series, snapped an eight-game win streak for the Golden Wolves.
- Stevenson returns to action on Tuesday, October 23 when the Mustangs travel to Haverford for a non-conference contest beginning at 3:30 p.m.
- The Mustangs conclude the regular season on Saturday, October 27 in a MAC Commonwealth contest at Widener beginning at 5:00 p.m.