Mustangs Fall to Lycoming in OT

Mustangs Fall to Lycoming in OT

WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. – Host Lycoming College trailed the whole game, but forced overtime as the final buzzer sounded and went on to a 60-57 MAC Commonwealth women's basketball victory over Stevenson University Saturday afternoon at Lamade Gymnasium.

Lycoming (10-3, 5-1 MAC Commonwealth) got 15 points apiece from Haley Sipple and Akilah McFadden, with Sipple grabbing 10 rebounds.  Shelby Mueller also posted a double-double with 10 points and 12 boards.

Stevenson (7-6, 3-3 MAC Commonwealth) was led by a career-high 19 points by sophomore Hannah Crist as she knocked down three three-pointers and was 7-17 from the floor.  Junior Jonyae Curry added 10 points, while freshman Olivia Coleman recorded eight points and 11 rebounds.

Stevenson was playing its first overtime game since January 12, 2013, also against Lycoming, a span of 135 games.

The Mustangs never trailed in regulation, leading by as many as 11, and held a 38-28 lead 49 seconds into the fourth quarter following a Crist three.  Lycoming chipped away and a 15-7 run capped by a Sipple three pulled the Warriors within two, 45-43, at the 2:12 mark. 

Stevenson led 47-45 with five seconds to go after freshman Brandi Hall made 1-of-2 at the line, and without a timeout, Lycoming was forced to inbound under its own basket.  Racing down the court, McFadden found Morgan Mader for an open 12-footer on the left baseline that she knocked down as time expired to force overtime.

Curry scored on the first possession of overtime, and following an empty Lycoming trip, Crist knocked down a three to put Stevenson up 52-47 48 seconds into overtime.  After the two teams traded baskets, a 7-0 Lycoming run capped by a Mader three with 1:17 left gave the hosts their first lead of the game, 56-54.  On the other end, Crist was fouled and sank 1-of-2 to halve the lead with just under a minute to go.

Sipple was fouled with 54 seconds left and missed a pair at the line, with freshman Denia Campbell grabbing the rebound.  Stevenson turned the ball over trying to get it into the post with 31 seconds left and was forced to foul, with Sipple making a pair with 20 seconds left.  Crist's attempt at a game-tying three was off the mark, but a putback by Coleman with four seconds left again made it a one-point game, but a pair of Dayton Hailey free throws with 2.3 seconds left and the Mustangs out of timeouts sealed the win.

Stevenson held Lycoming without a field goal in the opening quarter, with the lone Warrior point coming on a Tori Talanca free throw with 2:37 left in the period.  A three by Curry as time expired in the first quarter put the Mustangs on top 11-1.

Lycoming's first field goal came on a jumper by Sipple with 8:46 left in the second quarter.  Leading 11-5, Stevenson used a 7-2 spurt capped by a pair of free throws by Campbell to go up 18-7 with 4:04 left in the first half.  The Warriors, down 20-9, scored the final four points of the half go head to the locker room down seven, 20-13.

Stevenson scored the first four points of the third quarter to again reclaim an 11-point lead.  Lycoming whittled the lead down to four, 26-22, on a Hailey Fricke three at the 4:08 mark, but a Campbell three and a Coleman basket pushed the lead back to nine with 3:02 left, and the Mustangs entered the final frame up six.

Lycoming shot 35% for the game and held Stevenson to 28% shooting, but the Mustangs made 7-of-23 behind the arc while the hosts were just 4-17 from long range.  The visitors also took 11 more free throws, going 18-28 while Lycoming went 12-17.  The Warriors held a 50-38 rebound advantage, including 15-10 on the offensive glass.

Stevenson steps out of conference play Monday when it travels to Stockton for a 7:00 contest.