Mustangs Drop OT Thriller To Catholic

Mustangs Drop OT Thriller To Catholic

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Stevenson field hockey team got a goal from sophomore Brooke Morris in the 23rd-minute, but it would not be enough as a goal 7:55 into the first overtime period by Katie Murphy was enough to lift the host Catholic University Cardinals to a 2-1 win on Tuesday night at Cardinal Stadium. 

  • The action started early for Catholic (1-3) as just 3:32 into the game Kelly Cancelmo sent a pass across the middle of the attack area to the stick of Hannah Schied who beat junior goalkeeper Kelsey Eure to make it 1-0 on the first shot of the game.
  • Stevenson (3-2) looked to answer immediately as shots from Morris and sophomore Brigid Saroch in a 22-second span were sent away by Cardinals goalie Kim McGroary.
  • With 22:56 to play in the first half the Mustangs appeared to be on the verge of tying things up as a shot from senior Ashley Meyer beat McGroary, but was cleared off the line by Nicole Tsiaras keeping the home side up 1-0. 
  • The guests found their equalizer with 9:40 left when senior Sara McVey had a shot knocked cleared away by McGroary that landed on the stick of Saroch who blasted one towards goal that tipped off the stick of Morris to tie the game.
  • Stevenson recorded the final three shots of the half in search of the lead, but could not beat McGroary and the opening 35-minutes finished in a deadlock.

  • McVey tried to put the Mustangs ahead just 19-seconds into the second frame, but her blast was stopped by McGroary.
  • Catholic put the Stevenson defense under immense pressure with 27-minutes remaining as consecutive shots from Schied and Cancelmo were blocked before Graceton Griffith forced Eure to kick one away.     
  • For the final three minutes of regulation, the Mustangs spent the duration of it in the Cardinals defensive end with a Morris shot causing McGroary to make another save.  The last play would be a corner inserted by Meyer, unfortunately, the visitors were not able to get another shot sending the contest to overtime.
  • After 70-minutes Stevenson held a 14-9 edge in shots.

  • A shot by Grace Olson was denied by Eure just 1:19 into the extra period.  
  • Then, in the 5th-minute the Mustangs had their only chance when McVey worked herself into the area and let a shot fly that McGroary turned away.
  • The home side ended the contest with 2:05 to play in the first overtime when Olson ripped the ball from midfield into the attack zone and it was deflected by Katie Murphy past Eure to make it 2-1.

  • For the game, Stevenson outshot the hosts 15-12.
  • The Mustangs also held a slim advantage in penalty corners 8-6.
  • Catholic goalkeeper McGroary had to keep her team in the game making 12 saves.
  • Eure only was forced into making four stops on the night.  Which gives her 23 for the season.
  • Morris is now tied with McVey for the team lead in goals with five.
  • Saroch paces the Mustangs in assists dishing out five so far.
  • Stevenson ends their two-game road trip 1-1

  • The Mustangs return home to the friendly confines of Mustang Stadium for their next two contests.  First, they welcome Shenandoah University on Saturday, September 15 for a 6pm start. 
  • Then on Tuesday, September 18 at 7pm fifteenth-ranked Rowan University comes to Owings Mills.