OWINGS MILLS, Md. - The Stevenson field hockey team put an end to a four-game skid, thanks to a hat trick from senior Sara McVey and a dozen saves from junior keeper Kelsey Eure as the Mustangs blanked the visiting Gettysburg College Bullets in non-conference play on Tuesday night at Mustang Stadium.
- Gettysburg (5-3) started strong posting the first two shots of the game as the opening attempt of the contest from Christina Orio forced Eure to make an early save. The following rebound skipped out to Orio again who ripped one wide.
- Stevenson (4-5) got their opening offensive chances in the 9th-minute when McVey had consecutive shots turned away by Bullets goalie Jillian Caputo.
- The Mustangs then found the ice-breaker with 13:05 gone as McVey picked up the ball at midfield and broke in all alone on Caputo who McVey sidestepped and stuck the shot in the cage for a 1-0 lead.
- Gettysburg went in search of the equalizer as they recorded five straight shots in a three-minute run. The best chances came off the sticks of Arden Scheetz and Henna Fraiman who caused Eure to make saves.
- McVey scored her second of the night in the 29th-minute when sophomore Brooke Morris hit her with a pass across the area and her shot beat Caputo making it 2-0 at the break.
- The Bullets outshot the Mustangs 8-6 in the opening 35-minutes, with McVey totaling all six for the home side.
- Stevenson looked to extend their advantage when back-to-back shots by sophomore Brigid Saroch went wide of the net in minute 45.
- Just four minutes later Gettysburg tried to half the deficit again, but attempts from Grace Torrance and Allison Cavicchio were stopped by Eure. The Bullets continued their offensive push in the 54th-minute as once again Eure had to make consecutive saves on two straight shots by Julia Soares.
- McVey would put the game out of reach and complete her hat trick with 12 minutes to play when she had a shot denied by Caputo, but it kicked back to her and she stepped around the keeper again to score for a 3-0 lead. Her bid for a fourth on the night was turned away in the 63rd-minute when Caputo made a point-blank save.
- Gettysburg looked to end the shutout in the final minutes but Torrance was stoned by Eure and Emma Bertrando had two cracks blocked by the Stevenson defense.
- The series between Stevenson and Gettysburg is now knotted up at 3-3. As the Mustangs avenged last season's 4-1 loss in Pennslyvania.
- The Bullets outshot the Mustangs for the game 20-11 and held a 9-3 edge in penalty corners.
- Eure's 12 saves were her most since September of 2016 when she racked up 13 against Salisbury. It was also her third shutout of the season.
- McVey with her hat trick now has a team-best nine goals on the year.
- Morris handed out her first assist of the campaign and fourth as a Mustang.
McVey chips the ball to herself on a breakaway and beats Caputo for the eventual game-winner.
Coach Laurel Martin talks about the Mustangs 3-0 win over Gettysburg
- The Mustangs return to action on Saturday, September 29 when they travel to Grantham, Pa. for a date with the second-ranked Messiah College Falcons in MAC Commonwealth play at 1pm.