Late Rally For Mustangs Falls Just Short Against John Jay

Late Rally For Mustangs Falls Just Short Against John Jay

OWINGS MILLS, Md. - The Stevenson University men's basketball team scored the final eight points of the game against John Jay, but its late push fell short by a 77-76 final Saturday afternoon in non-conference action at Owings Mills Gymnasium.

  • John Jay (7-5) carved out a 15-10 lead seven minutes into the game following a basket by Romello Ford.
  • Stevenson (10-4) scored the next seven points and took a 17-15 lead on a Cam Harris three at the 11:08 mark.
  • The lead changed hands three times before a 6-0 spurt by the Bloodhounds gave the guests a 24-19 lead with 8:32 to go.
  • After the Mustangs scored five in a row to tie it, a 14-5 John Jay run put it up 38-2 3:42 before intermission.
  • The hosts cut the lead to two twice, the last time on a Marcus Dentley free throw that made it 42-40 with five seconds left.
  • Two free throws by the Bloodhounds with 0.4 seconds to go gave them a 44-40 lead heading into the locker room.

  • John Jay scored five points in the first 1:08 of the half to extend its lead to nine, 49-40.
  • Stevenson responded with 11 straight points, and a layup by Montaque Wright with 14:36 left put the Mustangs up by a pair.
  • Seven lead changes in the next six minutes, followed by a layup by Johnny Rhodes, squared the score 65-65 with 6:59 to go.
  • The Bloodhounds scored seven straight points to go up 72-65 with 4:30 left, and extended its lead to nine, 77-68, with 2:20 left on an Essien Epps layup.
  • Back-to-back layups by Wright and Rhodes cut the John Jay margin to five, 77-72, with 1:18 on the clock.
  • After a Rhodes steal on the next possession, Kyle Wooldridge was fouled on a layup attempt and sank a pair at the line with 59 seconds to go to make it a one-possession game.
  • Epps missed on a layup attempt, and with 50 seconds to go, a driving layup by Wright cut the guests' lead to 77-76.
  • John Jay misfired on a three-point attempt, but the Mustangs turned the ball over on their next possession and had to foul twice with 17.5 seconds, as they only had been whistled for five team fouls.
  • Doug Levy missed the front end of a one-and-one with six seconds left, and Wooldridge grabbed the rebound.
  • Wright was fouled on the floor with 1.2 seconds left, which was John Jay's sixth team foul.
  • Coming out of a timeout, Wright got a look from the top of the arc but his attempt at a second-straight buzzer beater was long.

  • The contest had nine ties and 11 lead changes.
  • John Jay connected on 15 of its 29 three-point attempts (51.7%) and shot 44.6% overall.
  • Stevenson, which held a 36-32 rebounding advantage, shot 45.3% overall and 7-21 behind the arc.
  • The Bloodhounds were 12-16 from the free throw line while the Mustangs went 11-15 at the stripe.
  • Stevenson has been in seven games decided by five or fewer points and is 5-2 in those contests.
  • Wright led the Mustangs in the scoring column with 19 points.  He finished in double figures in scoring for the 13th time in 14 games and the 10th straight contest.
  • Dentley finished one shy of his career high with 18 points, going 7-9 from the floor, including 2-3 from long range.  He also grabbed five rebounds.
  • Rhodes tallied 14 points, eight assists, six rebounds and five steals.  His eight assists are a career high and the most by a Mustang since Michael Byrd had eight against Lycoming on February 18, 2017.
  • Harris connected on both of his three-point attempts and added 10 points.

  • Stevenson is back in MAC Commonwealth action Wednesday night when it hosts Messiah in a 6 pm contest at Owings Mills Gymnasium.