No. 18 Dickinson Fends Off Mustang Challenge, Posts 13-10 Win

No. 18 Dickinson Fends Off Mustang Challenge, Posts 13-10 Win

OWINGS MILLS, Md. – Trailing 8-7 early in the fourth quarter, No. 18 Dickinson College rattled off four goals in a span of just under five minutes and survived a late push by Stevenson University en route to a 13-10 win in non-conference men's lacrosse at the Greene Turtle Classic at Mustang Stadium Saturday night.

Dickinson (5-2), which had led most of the way, found itself down 8-7 after three straight goals by Stevenson (3-4), including junior Kyle D'Onofrio's tally 37 seconds into the fourth quarter that gave the Mustangs an 8-7 lead, their first lead since 1-0.

Rob Kendall scored back-to-back to tie the game and give Dickinson the lead for good.  His goal with 11:35 left, on an assist from Brodie Phillips, tied the game 8-8, and 2:15 later, his unassisted tally put the Red Devils on top 9-8.

Tucker Carney scored at 7:53 and Chris Menard at 6:51 to increase the Dickinson advantage to three, 11-8.  That would remain the score until back-to-back goals by Stevenson junior Wade Korvin made it a one-goal game.  Korvin scored in transition on a feed from junior Jacob Brown with 3:54 left, then 57 seconds later, he took the ball from Dickinson goalie Nick Baxter and put it home to make it 11-10.

Dickinson won the ensuing faceoff and six seconds after the timer was put on at 1:29, Alex Hosker scored to make it 12-10.  Carney added an insurance goal with 43 seconds to go to account for the final.

The Red Devils led 4-3 at halftime and increased the lead to 6-3 with a pair of goals 62 seconds apart, the second coming at 10:04.  Korvin scored at 9:06 and junior Kyle Karsian at 7:22 to pull Stevenson within one, 6-5, before Carney scored at the 5:50 mark to double Dickinson's lead.  Senior Matt Tompkins put home a shovel goal off a feed from Korvin at 3:40, before senior Pat Candon scored with 2:19 left in the third to tie the game 7-7.

Junior Morgan Pritchett gave Stevenson a 1-0 lead 5:49 into the game, before goals at 8:17 and 5:41 gave the guests a 2-1 lead.  Senior Stephen Banick tied the game on a man-up goal with 1:47 left in the quarter, but Alex Hosker scored off the faceoff 11 seconds later to give Dickinson a 3-2 lead, where it remained after one.

Both teams scored one goal in the second frame.  D'Onofrio scored at the 10:08 mark to the tie game 2-2.  Kendall put Dickinson back on top at 7:33, where the score stayed despite Stevenson outshooting the Red Devils 15-5 in the second.

Korvin led Stevenson with three goals and two assists while also picking up a team-best four ground balls.  D'Onofrio finished with a pair of goals, while Banick added a goal and an assist.  Carney and Kendall each had four goals for Dickinson, with Carney adding an assist.

Baxter had eight saves for Dickinson, while senior Connor Skeen made 10 saves for Stevenson.  The Mustangs held a 39-34 shot advantage on the evening, and committed a season-low eight turnovers, but the Red Devils had a 37-27 advantage in ground balls and won 20-of-26 faceoffs on the evening.

Stevenson returns to action Tuesday night when it hosts top-ranked and defending national champion Tufts in a 7:00 game at Mustang Stadium.