Mustangs Drop MAC Commonwealth Contest Versus Lebanon Valley

OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Lebanon Valley scored twice in the second half while the Stevenson men's soccer team was shutout for the second straight game in a 2-0 MAC Commonwealth loss Tuesday evening at Mustang Stadium.

With the loss, the Mustangs (3-8-2, 2-3 MAC Commonwealth) fall into fifth place with six points, just one behind fourth place Arcadia, with three conference games remaining.

The hosts created some early scoring chances as freshmen Tariq Lee and Christian Beteta played off each other at top but the Mustangs had no shots to show for it. It was the Dutchmen (10-2-1, 4-1 MAC Commonwealth) who fired the first three shots of the game, including a pair on net, which were saved by senior Jake Brown.

Stevenson earned its first corner kick of the game in the 17th minute after senior Eric Dorsey did well to keep the ball in the offensive zone. The kick by junior Iliyas Mirza found the head of freshman Dylan Holy but the header was right to goalkeeper Cam Avery.

After sophomore DR Medtart won the ball for the Mustangs in the midfield, Lee played the ball out wide back to Medtart but his cross was too deep into the box as Avery intercepted the cross. Down the other end, Lebanon Valley had a free kick from 25 yards out and nearly connected on the back post with Jake Kline but the kick sailed just out of reach.

The Mustangs earned their second corner kick of the opening half in the 43rd minute but Mirza's kick inside the six-yard box sailed over the head of junior Aleem Mirza and into the leaping hands of Avery.

Neither team recorded a shot in the final 24:59 on the opening half as the Dutchmen led Stevenson, 5-1, in shots.

Lebanon Valley took a 1-0 lead in the 61st minute as Kurtis Rineer's free kick from the left edge of the 18-yard box found Riley Katshir on the back post for a header into the back of the net.

Lee had another scoring opportunity, this time recording a shot, but his right footed volley in the 75th minute went wide of the net. A few minutes later, Dorsey hit a backwards volley back into the box but out of reach for freshman Jay Smith.

In the 78th minute, the Mustangs were whistled for a foul in the box, with the referee awarding a penalty kick. But Braydon Shuck sent the shot high, keeping the score at 1-0.

Medtart had a look at a free kick from 30 yards out, but he sailed the shot high.

In the 81st minute, Tyler Skye sent in a ball from midfield for Noah Resuta who was able to get a touch on the ball to get past the Mustangs defense before beating Brown to the ball for a score into the open net.

The hosts made a final push as Smith fired off a shot inside the box but Avery made his third save of the game.

Brown made his seventh and final save with three seconds remaining in the game. Over the last three games, Brown has totaled 27 saves, stopping 27 of 29 shots on net.

The Mustangs were outshot, 16-8 while the Dutchmen also held a 5-4 edge in corner kicks.

Stevenson returns to action on Friday, October 20 when the Mustangs host a MAC Commonwealth contest versus 8th-ranked Lycoming on Senior Day beginning at 7:00 p.m.