Oct 13, 2018
ANNVILLE, Pa. - Host Lebanon Valley scored with just over eight minutes to go to record a 2-1 MAC Commonwealth men's soccer victory over Stevenson Saturday afternoon at Herbert Field.
- LVC (7-4-1, 3-1 MAC Commonwealth) put three shots on goal in a minute's span in the 12th minute, but Stevenson keeper Matt Stellitano turned aside all three.
- The Mustangs (8-6, 2-3 MAC Commonwealth) generated a pair of corner kicks in the 19th minute.
- In the 20th minute, Tariq Lee put a shot on frame that was saved by Dutchmen keeper Sean Quirk, and the rebound went to Jay Smith, who saw his shot blocked.
- Just past the midway point, Smith put a header on goal that Quirk saved.
- Pete Wickiser, who had entered the game five minutes earlier, gave Stevenson the lead in the 38th minute. An initial shot by Diego Guerrero was saved, but Wickiser lifted the rebound over Quirk for his second goal of the season. Guerrero was credited with the assist.
- Lebanon Valley put a shot on frame just over a minute later, but Stellitano came up with the save.
- Stevenson put nine shots up in the first half, seven of which were on target.
- Just past the 48-minute mark, Lebanon Valley tied the game as it was awarded a penalty kick, which was converted by Kurtis Rineer.
- Stevenson earned a corner kick in the 73rd minute, and a shot by Gaige Robinson went wide.
- Dane Varner scored at the 81:46 mark to give the Dutchmen a 2-1 lead. Rineer had a shot blocked, and Varner shot the carom past a diving Stellitano.
- Stevenson earned the game's final corner kick in the 83rd minute.
- Lebanon Valley held a 15-12 shot advantage, outshooting the Mustangs 7-3 in the second half. LVC also had six corner kicks to Stevenson's five.
- Stellitano made seven saves for the Mustangs, while Quirk turned aside six shots.
- Lee led the Mustangs with a pair of shots on target.
- Guerrero's assist was his third of the season.
- Stevenson is back on the road Wednesday night when it travels to Albright for a 7:00 MAC Commonwealth contest.
- The Mustangs are back home next Saturday, October 20, when they host Alvernia for Senior Night at Mustang Stadium at 7:00 pm.