Mustangs Battle 16th-Ranked Stevens to 1-1 Overtime Tie

Mustangs Battle 16th-Ranked Stevens to 1-1 Overtime Tie

OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Stevenson men's soccer sophomore Alex Morales tied the game just 1:49 after 16th-ranked Stevens took the lead en route to a 1-1 non-conference double overtime tie Saturday evening at Mustang Stadium.

  • In the ninth minute, sophomore Sean McDonald served the ball into the box to the feet of junior Jay Smith, whose shot in close was blocked.
  • On the ensuing throw-in by junior Dylan Holy, sophomore Jason Kahan got a head on it but sent it wide of the net.
  • The Ducks (6-1-0) had the first corner kick of the match after sophomore Matt Stellitano blocked out a shot from the top of the box but the ensuing shot was blocked and picked up by Stellitano.
  • In the 25th minute, the Mustangs (3-2-2) had a free kick just outside the 18-yard box on the endline but Stevens headed the cross out of the box.
  • McDonald served in a cross for Smith in the 32nd minute that just went over the head of Smith and into the hands of goalkeeper Aedan Boriotti.
  • Stevenson outshot Stevens, 5-3, marking the first time the Ducks have been outshot in the opening half this season.

  • In the opening two minutes, junior Tariq Lee played a through ball for Smith whose shot was saved by a sliding Boriotti off his line.
  • The Ducks took a 1-0 lead in the 56th minute as Cristiano Hocken served in a ball for a diving Jay Poskitt who headed it inside the near post.
  • Just 1:49 later, Morales tied the game as he volleyed a left-footed shot over Boriotti from 25 yards out after a free kick was knocked out of the box.
  • Stevens had a free kick in the 64th minute from the corner of the 18-yard box that Sean Masur fired on target but Stellitano recovered and punch it over the bar.
  • The Ducks kept the pressure and fired another shot on net a minute later but Stellitano was able to make a diving punch to clear the ball out of the box.
  • In the 71st minute, senior DR Medtart had a free kick from 26 yards out that hit hard off the crossbar and out before the Mustangs were whistled for a foul.
  • In the last minute of regulation, Stevens had a free kick at the top of the box but Smith blocked the shot from the wall.

  • The Ducks had the lone shot of the first overtime period, coming in the opening 1:28.
  • In the 105th minute, Lee tried to tuck a shot into the near post after dribbling into the box but it went just outside the post.
  • Medtrat had a free kick after a yellow card was issued to Stevens, and Morales had a shot blocked in the box.
  • In the final 35 seconds, Lee nearly bicycled kicked in the game-winner but Boriotti punched it out before the Ducks defense cleared it away.

  • Stevens outshot Stevenson, 18-13, including 13-5 in the second half.
  • Both teams finished with eight corner kicks.
  • Stellitano finished with five saves, including four in the second half.

  • Stevenson returns to action on Monday, September 23 when the Mustangs travel to Delaware Valley for a non-conference contest beginning at 4:00 p.m.
  • The Mustangs return home on Wednesday, September 25 when the team hosts a non-conference contest versus Immaculata beginning at 4:00 p.m.