Posted: Mar 02, 2019
ASHLAND, Va. - Stevenson softball sophomore Kayla Briles recorded three combined hits as the Mustangs dropped a non-conference doubleheader versus 11th-ranked Randolph-Macon, 7-1 and 11-3, Saturday afternoon.
- The Mustangs (0-2) got on the board first on a sacrifice fly from junior Haley Lennon after a leadoff single by Briles before stealing back-to-back bases.
- In the bottom of the first, the Yellow Jackets (3-1) scored four runs after a single up the middle and a two-RBI double with no outs. The hosts also added an unearned run.
- Randolph-Macon added a fifth run in the second inning with two outs before scoring a pair of unearned runs in the third inning.
- Freshman Sierra Stark recorded her first career hit, going 1-for-3.
- Both junior Morghan Fulton and Briles also went 1-for-3 at the plate.
- The hosts recorded seven stolen bases while the visitors recorded four errors.
- Fulton recorded six strikeouts in the circle.
- The Yellow Jackets recorded nine runs in the first two innings before adding one run in each of the third and fourth innings.
- Trailing, 11-0, in the top of the fifth, the Mustangs scored three unearned runs in the top of the fifth.
- Briles went 2-for-2 while both juniors Erin Muir and Samantha Znamirowski recorded their first hits in a Stevenson uniform.
- Stevenson finished with just seven combined hits.
- Briles finished 3-for-5 at the plate with a pair of runs. The sophomore was caught stealing for the first time in her career and first time in 26 attempts.
- Lennon, Fulton, and Muir all recorded RBIs.
- Stevenson returns to action on Saturday, March 9 when the Mustangs host a non-conference doubleheader versus Cabrini. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.