Posted: Mar 27, 2019
READING, Pa. - The Stevenson softball team was held to just two combined runs on 10 hits as the Mustangs droped a MAC Commonwealth doubleheader versus Alvernia Wednesday afternoon at Angelica Park.
- Alvernia 4, Stevenson 2; WP: Shields (5-4), L: Fulton (5-3)
- The Mustangs (6-9, 1-3 MAC Commonwealth) took an early 1-0 lead after sophomore Kayla Briles scored from second base on a throwing error with two outs.
- In the bottom of the second inning, the Golden Wolves (13-7, 4-0 MAC Commomwealth) had a runner on third with no outs but Stevenson turned a double play, throwing the runner out at home.
- The visitors took a 2-0 lead in the third inning as Briles scored a second run on a sacrifice fly by junior Morghan Fulton.
- Stevenson had runners on first and third with no outs in the sixth inning but left two runners in scoring position stranded.
- In the bottom half of the inning, Alvernia recorded five hits and scored four runs to take a 4-2 lead.
- Riley Shields earned the win for the home team after recorded a three-up, three-down top of the seventh.
- Briles finished 3-for-4 and scored both runs.
- Alvernia 8, Stevenson 0 (5); WP: Decker (7-3), L: Monahan (1-2)
- The Mustangs were held to a season-low three hits.
- Alvernia scored six runs on seven hits in the bottom of the fifth inning.
- Junior Erin Muir went 2-for-2 at the plate.
- It is the first time Stevenson has been shutout this season.
- Briles saw her 15-game hitting streak snapped but added her 17th stolen base of the season.
- Stevenson returns to action on Saturday, March 30 when the Mustangs travel to Widener for a MAC Commonwealth doubleheader beginning at 1:00 p.m.
- The Mustangs return home on Wednesday, April 3 when the team hosts a non-conference doubleheader versus Wesley. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.