Posted: Apr 06, 2019
OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Visiting Messiah College took both ends of a MAC Commonwealth doubleheader from Stevenson Saturday afternoon at Weinberg-Fine Stadium. The Falcons won the opener 5-0 before completing the sweep with an 8-0 blanking.
- Stevenson (9-12, 2-6 MAC Commonwealth) had runners on the corners in the bottom of the second after Alexandra DiGrande doubled with one out, followed by a single by Sierra Stark, but back-to-back groundouts ended the threat.
- Messiah (13-15, 4-6 MAC Commonwealth) took a 1-0 lead in the fourth when a Jaelynn Harbold triple drove in Erin Cressman.
- Harbold struck again in the sixth, knocking in two runs with a single to left.
- Erin Muir led off the sixth with a single for Stevenson but three flyouts by the Mustangs ended the inning.
- The Falcons scored two more times on a Haylee Anders single.
- Erin Stephey had two hits for the Mustangs in the opener.
- Morghan Fulton struck out four in her complete-game effort.
- A three-run home run by Rianna Trexler put Messiah on top in the top of the second.
- Kayla Maggio led off the third with a single for Stevenson but stayed at first after two strikeouts and a flyout.
- Cressman led off the fourth with a home run to left.
- Stevenson loaded the bases in the bottom of the fourth with one out after Stephey reached on a wild pitch and back-to-back singles by Fulton and DiGrande, but a groundout and a flyout ended the threat.
- After Messiah scored twice in the top of the fifth, the Mustangs got a one-out single by Kayla Briles and a two-out walk by Stephey, but came up empty.
- Messiah scored two more times in the seventh, taking advantage of four Mustang errors.
- Haley Monahan took the loss for the Mustangs, allowing four earned runs in seven innings.
- Fulton has hit safely in five of her last six games.
- Stephey has reached safely in six straight games and has a hit in 17 of her last 19 games.
- Stevenson travels to Salisbury for a 1 pm doubleheader on Sunday.
- The Mustangs return home next Saturday, entertaining Albright in a 1 pm MAC Commonwealth doubleheader.