OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Stevenson women's basketball senior Jonyae Curry became the fourth player to record 1,000 points for her Mustangs career. As she netted a pair of foul shots with 7:16 to go in the second quarter to help the home team lead wire-to-wire in a pivotal MAC Commonwealth contest over Alvernia University by a score of 77-55 on Wednesday night at Owings Mills Gymnasium.
- Stevenson (9-9, 4-5 MAC Commonwealth) opened up to a hot start as Brandi Hall knocked down a jumper just six-seconds in to spark a 12-0 Mustangs run that saw all five starters score over the first 3:19.
- Alvernia (3-16, 0-10 MAC Commonwealth) got on the board with 6:29 remaining when Torri Zerbe hit a layup making it 12-2.
- Olivia Coleman scored the next three home points on a converted basket-and one opportunity extending the margin to 15-2 at the 4:44 mark.
- The Golden Wolves tried to hang in there going on an 11-2 run ending on two of three made foul shots for Abbie Zerbe to cut the deficit to 17-13.
- Hannah Crist would record the final basket of the frame with a jumper with one minute remaining to bring it to 21-13.
- A pair of buckets by Curry and a triple from Crist opened the lead to 28-13 in a 1:33 span to start the second.
- Maya Cooper laid one up and into the basket to halt the push at 28-15 with eight minutes to go.
- A foul by Gabriella De Vito with 7:16 in the half sent Curry to the free throw line with a chance to hit the 1,000-point mark which she did calmly stroking a pair to reach the goal and extend the advantage to 30-15.
- The Mustangs continued to maintain the double-digit lead until the 2:04 mark when a layup by Jannelle Robinson made it 34-24 and sent the guests on a 6-0 run over a 1:41 stretch to cut the margin to 34-28.
- Curry would net her 12th-point of the half on a layup with six seconds to play which pushed the lead to 36-28 at the break.
- Stevenson came out of the break on fire as another free throw from Curry and a layup by Coleman bookended an 11-0 run over the opening 2:36 to grab a 47-28 edge.
- After a basket from Robinson stopped the push for a moment Crist came back down the floor and buried a triple to grab the largest lead of the night at 50-30 with 5:09 left.
- The Golden Wolves cut into the deficit slightly closing on a 7-0 sprint in the last minute to bring the score to 54-42 through three.
- Once again a strong start to a frame as a 10-2 run sparked by a Crist triple, and layups from Denia Campbell and Curry made it 64-44 at the 5:49 mark.
- A bucket out of the hand of Zerbe brought the Golden Wolves to within 18, but that would be as close as they could get the rest of the way as a three from the top of the key by Alexa Sanmartin gave Stevenson their largest advantage of the game 77-51 with 48-seconds to go.
- Amber Orban scored the last points of the evening on a layup at 9:47 for the final of 77-55.
- Stevenson has now won four in a row and five of their last six.
- The Mustangs shot .451 from the floor while the Golden Wolves were .386.
- Both sides went 4-14 from beyond the arch.
- Curry led the way with 21 points, six rebounds, three assists, and a pair of steals.
- Crist recorded a double-double netting 14 points and ten steals.
- Hall and Campbell each finished in double figures for the hosts.
- Robinson and De Vito were the Alvernia players in double digits.
Coach Jackie Boswell discusses the Mustangs conference win over Alvernia.
Senior Jonyae Curry talks about the win against Alvernia and breaking the 1,000 point plateau.
- Stevenson returns to action on Saturday, January 26 when they welcome MAC Commonwealth foe Arcadia University to Owings Mills Gymnasium for a 1pm tip.