Mustangs Advance to Third-Straight Commonwealth Conference Title Game

Mustangs Advance to Third-Straight Commonwealth Conference Title Game

OWINGS MILLS, Md. – For the third-straight season the Stevenson women's lacrosse team has defeated Lebanon Valley to advance to the Commonwealth Conference championship game as the second-seeded Mustangs posted an 11-6 victory in the conference semifinals Thursday afternoon at Mustang Stadium.

The Mustangs (12-6), who weathered two and a half hours of lightning delays, scored five of the final seven goals and advance to the title game where they will face top-seeded Messiah for the second-straight season.

Each team scored once in the opening eight minutes before an hour lightning-delay suspended play. Stevenson held a 4-2 lead in shots before the interruption. Sophomore Brady Heher scored on a free-position goal before Tori Kuntz scored 19 seconds before the delay to leve the game at 1-1.

Following the stoppage, the Dutchmen (10-7) totaled the first five shots, including a goal by Emma Jones to give the visitors a 2-1 lead.

Stevenson would score the next four goals, including two in a 34-second span to reclaim the lead for good. Heher scored her second free-position goal before a bad turnover by Lebanon Valley's goalie behind the cage led to a goal by senior Kathryn Merrick.

Junior Tori Wagner scored the next two goals for the Mustangs, giving the hosts a three-goal lead with 4:47 remaining. Monteiro found Wagner cutting across the front of the crease who backhanded it in before Wagner scored her eighth free-position goal of the year.

The Dutchmen scored two of the next three goals to cut the deficit to two with 28 seconds remaining. However, Merrick was fouled and connected on a free-position shot with 2.5 second left to give the Mustangs a 7-4 lead at the break.

Stevenson was 4-for-7 on free-position shots in the opening 30 minutes compared to 1-for-1 for Lebanon Valley. The Mustangs would finish 6-for-10 marking the fifth time in the last seven games the team has totaled five free-position goals.

Goals by junior Carli Bafford and Monteiro gave the Mustangs a 9-4 lead before the game was halted again for a second lightning delay.

After the stoppage, the hosts would maintain majority of possession, however each team would total eight shots over the final 24:19. Junior Maggie Lawder was the difference, as the goalie came up with six saves in the second half, including two in the final 2:17.

Monteiro finished with a game-high four points on three goals and an assist while Merrick added three goals. Heher totaled two goals and an assist.

Stevenson and the Falcons will meet for the 2015 Commonwealth Championship on Saturday, May 2 beginning at 1:00 p.m. Messiah edged the Mustangs, 11-10, earlier this season.