OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Visiting Shenandoah broke a 1-1 tie with just over 16 minutes to go and posted a 2-1 non-conference women's soccer victory over Stevenson Wednesday night at Mustang Stadium.
- Stevenson (0-5-2) jumped out to a 1-0 lead 2:14 into the match as Alayna Roesener buried a penalty kick after the Hornets were whistled for a handball in the box.
- Shenandoah (3-4) got its first shot on goal in the 19th minute, as a header by Emily Yergin on a corner kick was saved by Mustang keeper Keegan Caffrey.
- In the 21st minute Melanie Parncutt was on a breakaway, but Hornet keeper Emilie Smith came out to make a sliding stop.
- Shenandoah tied the game in the 28th minute as Shannen de Leon headed in a long free kick from Dornesha Cottoms off a bounce.
- Caffrey made a diving stop of a shot by Shenandoah's Abby Alexa at the 35-minute mark.
- With just over two minutes to go before halftime, Stevenson's Kierra McGee slid in a shot that glanced off the left post.
- Stevenson held a 16-13 shot advantage in the opening 45 minutes.
- Both teams had one shot through the first 15 minutes of the half.
- Kelsey Krupski got a head on a long free kick into the box in the 65th minute, but the shot was saved by Smith.
- Smith was tested again two minutes later as she was forced to make a sliding stop on a 20-yard shot by Alex Hamel.
- Shenandoah took a 2-1 lead just shy of the 74-minute mark as Alexa scored her second goal of the year off a feed by Yergin.
- The Mustangs generated a pair of corner kicks in the final five minutes but were unable to find the back of the net.
- Stevenson outshot Shenandoah 21-18 on the night and took seven of the game's 12 corner kicks.
- All but one of Stevenson's setbacks have been by one goal.
- Caffrey finished with four saves, while Smith made seven stops in her first start of the season in goal.
- Brianna Christie led the Mustangs with six shots, while Roesener had five.
Keegan Caffrey makes a diving save in the 35th minute.
- Stevenson entertains DeSales on Saturday at 1 pm at Mustang Stadium.