OWINGS MILLS, Md. - The Stevenson women's soccer team managed just two shots while Ursinus scored the go-ahead goal in the 81st minute as the Mustangs dropped a 1-0 non-conference contest Sunday afternoon at Mustang Stadium.
In pregame ceremonies, the team honored its 10 seniors.
- In the 10th minute, the Bears (2-0) had a free kick just outside the 18-yard box on the end line but it was punched away by junior Keegan Caffrey.
- The Mustangs (1-1) earned a corner kick in the 14th minute and senior Alex Hamel placed the ball inside the six-yard box but Sabrina Doherty punched it outside the box.
- Caffrey made the first save of the game, easily stopping a shot from just outside the 18-yard box in the 18th minute.
- Midway through the half, Stevenson turned the ball over inside the box but the shot from Julia Ewing sailed over the net.
- The Mustangs first shot came in the 35th minute on a free kick by Hamel that was easily saved by Doherty.
- Ursinus held an 8-1 advantage in shots with both team recording just one shot on net.
- In the 68th minute, the Mustangs had a scoring opportunity as junior Karissa Paglione carried the ball into the offensive zone but the hosts could not get off a shot.
- In transition down the other end, Ewing got behind the Stevenson defense but Hamel was able to slide tackle the ball away at the top of the box.
- Junior Bridget Heist put the hosts first shot of the half on net but her bending shot from 25 yards out was stopped by Doherty.
- The Bears netted the game's lone goal as Morgan Raley hit a one-timer on a bouncing ball in the box that was played in by Skylar Knapp. Raley beat Caffrey high just inside the right post.
- Ursinus outshot Stevenson, 14-2. Both shots by the Mustangs were on frame.
- The Bears also held a 4-1 edge in corner kicks.
- Stevenson held possession for 58 percent of the game, with 44 percent of that held in the attacking midfield.
- The senior trio of Hamel, Rylie Patterson, and Delayna Witouski played all 90 minutes on defense.
- Caffrey finished with three saves, including a pair in the second half.
- Stevenson returns to action on Saturday, September 7 when the Mustangs travel to St. Mary's (Md.) for a non-conference contest beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- The Mustangs return home on Wednesday, September 18 when the team hosts a non-conference game versus McDaniel beginning at 7:00 p.m.