Sep 11, 2019
READING, Pa. - The Stevenson University women's volleyball team needed just 54 minutes to sweep Albright College 3-0 in its MAC Commonwealth opener Wednesday night at the Bollman Center. Set scores were 25-7, 25-7, 25-15.
- After trailing 3-2 early, Stevenson (6-0, 1-0 MAC Commonwealth) reeled off 11 straight points to take an 13-3 lead.
- The run featured two kills and a block apiece for Katie Leftridge and Sarah Straub.
- After Albright (2-3, 0-1 MAC Commonwealth halted the run, the guests had an 8-0 run capped by a Straub kill.
- A Simone Gest kill ended the frame.
- Stevenson had the set's first nine points, with Caroline Dangel registering three service aces.
- Another 8-0 run that featured back-to-back service aces by Sarah Riggin pushed the Mustang advantage to 22-6.
- After a Shannon Baily kill made it 24-7, the set ended on an Albright setting error.
- Stevenson and Albright were tied four times in the early going before an 8-1 Mustang run capped by a Haley Hoover ace made it 13-6 in favor of the visitors.
- Back-to-back kills by Lauryn Davis upped the Mustang lead to 24-15, then another setting error by the Lions ended things.
- Stevenson improved to 57-0 all-time in MAC Commonwealth regular season play and have won 71 straight against league foes including the conference championship.
- The Mustangs hit .500 in the first set and a season-best .439 for the match while holding the Lions to -.042 hitting.
- Mackenzie Blevins hit .692 and had nine kills on 13 attempts with no errors.
- Leftridge finished with six kills, while Gest, Straub, Victoria Prokic and Rysleigh Reeves each recorded five.
- Straub was successful on all five of her swings and improved to a .692 hitting percentage, registering 27 kills on 39 attacks with no errors.
- Dangel notched 26 assists and nine digs.
- Stevenson plays its home opener Friday when it hosts Dickinson in a 6 pm match at Owings Mills Gymnasium.